Welcome From the President for 2016-2017:
Hello everyone! My name is Melissa Brewer and I am the president of the Microbiology and Molecular Genetics Graduate Student Association for the 2016-2017 school year. We have several exciting fundraising and volunteer events planned for the next year. From fundraising at Blue Spruce to volunteering at events like Women in Science, we hope to have some great times for people to get together and to raise some money for our organization while doing it. We are also excited to announce that we will be combining our annual symposium with the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department this year. I am really looking forward to everything we will be doing this year!
To the new students who will be entering the department this school year, welcome. I hope that you find this website to be a helpful resource to you as you prepare to enter the program. We are all looking forward to meeting each and every one of you and hope that your transition here is a smooth one. I will be sending out emails near the start of the fall semester for the start of our monthly meetings and really encourage all of you to attend these as we welcome you into the program and help you start on your degree. If you have any questions before (or even after!) you get here, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you all!
2016-2017 MICROBIOLOGY & MOLECULAR GENETICS NEWS AND EVENTS:
- 2016-2017 Graduate Teaching Assistants/Research Assistants Student Injury and Sickness Plan for OSU can be found here.
- The Microbiology Department is holding a banquet to hand out student awards. It will be held on April 27, 2017 at the Murray Hall Parlor from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. RSVP to Dana Hatter.
- The Student Research Symposium was on March 27, 2017! It was held in the Noble Research Center Lobby from 5:00 PM to 7:15 PM. Click the link to see all of the abstracts of the presenters of the night.
- Some of our students presented at the American Society for Microbiology. It was held at Missouri State University in Springfield, MO on March 17th and 18th. Those students were Michelle King and Biraj Kayastha from the Patrauchan lab and Colby Starr, Rawan Eleshy, and Prakash Sah from the Lutter Lab.
- The Women in Science Conference was held at the Mabee Center in Tulsa, OK on October 11, 2016. Our department had a table, "Wonderful World of Microbes".